Grandview C-4 School District

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Bond and Tax Levy » Question 1 Tax Levy FAQ's

Question 1 Tax Levy FAQ's

Q: What is an operating tax levy?

A: A property tax levy is the amount of property tax dollars a school district requires in order to operate the district for the upcoming school year.
Q. Why is an operating tax levy important for a school district?
A: Property taxes are the primary funding source for school districts and account for 46% of the Grandview C-4 School District’s funding for general operations. A district relies on a property tax levy, either through extending a current levy or by a levy increase, to match revenues with increasing expenditures such as cost of living, services and materials.
Q: How is a property tax levy calculated?

A: The tax levy is determined utilizing a calculation that considers the previous year’s tax rate, the current Consumer Price Index, the assessed value (AV) of the properties within the district’s boundaries, and new growth of properties within the district’s boundaries.
Q: Will a “no” vote on a property tax levy increase lower taxes?

A: NO, the current tax rates would remain in effect and would be calculated as outlined above.

Q: What does Grandview C-4 School District have on the April ballot?

A: There is also a .60 cent proposed tax levy increase on the ballot that will be labeled as Question 1. The ballot also has a NO TAX INCREASE bond issue that will be labeled as Question 2.
Q: Will the district’s .60 cent levy increase change the tax rate?

A: Yes, the increase will be based on the county’s assessed market value of your property. For an estimated annual increase please see this chart.

Q: If the tax levy increase passes how will the funds be used?

A: The additional funds will be used to support the general operations of the district. Salaries and benefits account for approximately 80% of the operating budget. The funds will be used to maintain our competitive salary and benefit package, thereby enabling the district to attract and retain quality staff to educate our students. The remaining 20% is comprised of goods and services that, in general, will continue to experience increased costs in the coming years.